Monday, May 3, 2010

A Walk in the Park That Is Our Home




Madeleine is obsessed with puppies right now, so she begged for a puppy party for her 5th Birthday. I've always loved planning birthday parties for my children. It's one of my favorite mom duties. We used mostly recycled, totally free materials to make our invites and the kids seemed to think they were pretty cool.


I was determined not to have cheesy decorations, but then once we got to the party store it was impossible to get out of there without any. One screaming Henry and too much money later we ended up with "Pin the nose on the Puppy," a dalmatian pinata (or rata as Madeleine calls it), little dog bowls filled with candy bones for each guest, rings, bracelets, helium ballons, puppy cutouts, and other miscellaneous goodies.


Our original idea was to have the party at the park, but it had been snowing the two days prior to the party and the day of the party was super cold and windy, so we had the party at our house. When the girls arrived, they stopped at the groomer for some face paint and a party hat. Madeleine had arranged all of her stuffed puppies by the fireplace, so then they all got to play with a puppy friend.


Madeleine's friends are just all adorable and well-behaved. I was really impressed. She was so excited about the presents she received that the next morning she woke up before anyone else to play with them!


This party was almost as much fun as Disneyland. Just look at her face!


I'm a little embarrassed to post these pictures of the pinata because our yard is dead. Why we need the hose is beyond me because it's obvious we haven't been watering any plants. This pinata did not want to break. The girls each got 3 or 4 turns. Madeleine was absolutely tickled that she was the one who finally broke his head off.


After the pinata, we went back inside for more puppy games. We played Trainer Says, Balloon Fetch, Musical Dog Bowls, and Dog, Dog, Cat.


It was funny and maybe a little creepy when the girls spontaneously started chanting a bark (does that make sense?) after the pinata was all said and done. Poor puppy.

I love this girl! I can't believe she's 5 years old!


We ended with pupcakes that had spotted insides. I had a hard time ending the party because these girls were all so cute and played so well together. I've realized that kids just keep getting more fun as they get older. 5 is my favorite age so far. I thought I'd be sad when my kids were all out of the baby phase, but now I think it will be a blast! I'm so glad I get to be a Mom!


1 comment:

Reynolds Family said...

So cute!! Glad she had so much fun!